Photobucket

3.27.2008

The Screen Actors Guild...or wait...the Quilting Guild

Oh man. So I went to my first ever Quilting Guild meeting with my friend Melissa on Tuesday night. Oh. My. Gosh. There were probably about 30 women there, and we were all supposed to bring a quilt for "show and tell". Well Melissa and I were sitting towards the back and we already felt a little out of place, but then the first lady got up and showed a couple of quilts she brought......we seriously were like- um - how can we sneak out of here unseen. I literally almost did. No lie. It just got worse as more people showed theirs. It was like the most embarrassing thing EVER! Because these ladies had either machine quilted these quilts themselves on their sewing machines or hand quilted them and these quilts were HUUUGE (well some of them). I felt really lame school. So Melissa got up and showed hers and she's amazing, so that didnt help. And then I showed mine- and its my first one I'd ever made... the one for handsome little Jax..and these ladies were SOO nice! They totally clapped since it was my first one and some people took pictures of it and then after I sat down a few ladies asked me to pass it to them, so they could look at it again.

I think they were just being nice...but it sure made me feel a little less stupid for being there.
So all in all- it was fun! And I dare go back again. So yay!

7 comments:

Kim said...

Yes go back you can choose your quilting mentor...everyone has to start somewhere. The first step was a doesy but it will be easier from now on!

Lara said...

OBVIOUSLY they loved it and took pictures of it!!! IT's so amazing that Jax won't even poop on it- and believe me... he'll poop on just about anything.

Kar said...

That quilt is so cute, I can't imagine the other ladies being so amazing that you're embarrassed to show yours.

Kaela said...

Wow. I am never going to one of these. If YOU feel inadequate in any way with your amazing ability to quilt? Do you use the time to work on projects there, discuss techniques, or what?? I'm glad you're going back- it really does sound like fun and everything is always most uncomfortable in the beginning:)

ANDREA said...

kaela- yeah, you can bring projects and work on them - like ones you can do quietly and in a chair while listening, ya know..like appliqueing or hand quilting. i guess (im not sure as ive only been once) that each time they have a person who is really good in one area of quilting come and talk to us about that. i dont know if every time we have show and tell or what. but yeah,they give tips and such

Melissa said...

Andrea,

Your quilt was beautiful, that is why they took pictures. Everyone passed it around and loved it. You are great at picking out colors and putting them together! You are great!

Anonymous said...

Well written article.