Photobucket

8.26.2008

post 187

So last week at work I met this man who was quite unfortunate looking.... one of those quirky old men who says things that you don't know how to respond to, and you just hope they'll go away and stop talking to you- but they dont.

Well in the midst of our conversation he says- yeah well I fell off a turnip truck a few years ago ....................................................................................... I seriously just stood there speechless, because I swear on my life I didn't know if that was one of those old people sayings, or if he in reality DID fall off a truck.....because he REALLY looked like he could have. He just stared back at me, and then chuckled. So I left the conversation guessing that it was probably just a phrase.

FYI: I just googled it to find out sure, and luckily it is just an old person thing to say.

Looking back now, its kind of funny- like not the phrase, thats just wierd- but the whole situation...Me not knowing if he'd really fallen off a truck, or if he was trying to make me laugh... Then us just standing there staring at each other cuz I had NO CLUE what to say. But really- it wasn't funny! it was one of THEE most awkward moments of my life, im not EVEN kidding. I was so at a loss for words. If I would have laughed and said- oh you're funny, thinking it's a phrase, and then find out he really did fall off a truck hauling a load of turnips!?!?!? how bad would i have felt!!!....or on the other hand if I had said all concerned, "you fell off a truck? oh man- thats terrible" .....either way. it was a lose lose situation- cuz i would come out looking like an idiot. i dont know. awkard. very very awkward. so i just stood there.

seriously. i hope to NEVER run into that man again!

4 comments:

Kar said...

I love your work stories. They always make me laugh.

When I first read it I thought he really did fall off a turnip truck because you can't really make that up. But actually, you can, because it's evidently a saying.

ANDREA said...

thank you dear kara. and yes- evidently it is a saying- but i do NOT think people that look like they HAVE INFACT fallen off a moving vehicle should be allowed to use the phrase. it just causes too much confusion.

Lara said...

I would've believed it if he said he fell off a asparagus truck, but TURNIP?! You make me laugh, Andrea. That is so unlikely.

Anneke said...

Oh my gosh! I am laughting so hard right now... trying not to be too loud so that Tom has to rush in and see what's wrong with me. For some reason that story struck me as SO FUNNY. Probably cause it is. Oh dear - thanks for the laugh. I'll be laugh-crying for days.