Photobucket

5.04.2008

something to make you gag

So last night I was working on a quilt and Brad was watching tv in the other room and I could of course hear it seeing how our house is about 3 inches big. But he was watching Modern Marvels and the modern marvel being discussed was rats. (Which are neither so Modern, nor so Marvelous if you ask me.)

Anyway- I think I forever lost my appetite for Peanut Butter and now reading up on it more..for all food. Goodbye cruel world- I will be withering away to nothingness starting NOW.

Apparently the FDA allows a certain number of insect "material", rodent hairs etc in food- counting it as "natural contaminations"

Here are some of the levels that food has to reach before the FDA will take action:

CHOCOLATE AND CHOCOLATE LIQUOR

  • Insect filth: Average is 60 or more insect fragments per 100 grams when 6 100-gram subsamples are examined OR any 1 subsample contains 90 or more insect fragments

  • Rodent filth: Average is 1 or more rodent hairs per 100 grams in 6 100-gram subsamples examined OR any 1 subsample contains 3 or more rodent hairs

CITRUS FRUIT JUICES, CANNED

  • Insects and insect eggs: 5 or more Drosophila and other fly eggs per 250 ml or 1 or more maggots per 250 ml

RED FISH AND OCEAN PERCH

  • Parasites: 3% of the fillets examined contain 1 or more parasites accompanied by pus pockets

MACARONI AND NOODLE PRODUCTS

  • Insect filth: Average of 225 insect fragments or more per 225 grams in 6 or more subsamples

  • Rodent filth: Average of 4.5 rodent hairs or more per 225 grams in 6 or more subsamples

PEANUT BUTTER

  • Insect filth: Average of 30 or more insect fragments per 100 grams

  • Rodent filth: Average of 1 or more rodent hairs per 100 grams

POPCORN

  • Rodent filth: 1 or more rodent excreta pellets are found in 1 or more subsamples, and 1 or more rodent hairs are found in 2 or more other subsamples OR 2 or more rodent hairs per pound and rodent hair is found in 50% or more of the subsamples OR 20 or more gnawed grains per pound and rodent hair is found in 50% or more of the subsamples

WHEAT FLOUR

  • Insect filth: Average of 75 or more insect fragments per 50 grams

  • Rodent filth: Average of 1 or more rodent hairs per 50 grams


Oh my gosh- im like so gagged out right. *GAGGGGGGGGING* I know I should maybe not be so squeamish for after all, I've been eating these things apparently all my life. But the thought of it.......df;oaijsdfoasidjf;laskdjfaosdifj;asldkfjas;dlf BLAHG!

9 comments:

Bethany said...

Um, k, I just stopped reading at Chocolate. I am deciding to be blissfully unaware. I'll just pretend this post never happened. I am seriously trying to keep myself from gagging right now, even without the details. Thanks!!!

Anonymous said...

POPCORN??????????? Please not popcorn!!!!!!!!!

Kar said...

Geez. Thanks for sharing. I'll never eat again.

Kaela said...

I really can't think about this- I couldn't even bring myself to read all of it. I had caught word that a teeny tiny percentage of insect remnants were allowed in things and figured- oh well a little protein, but rodents, eggs, parasites and filth??? The actual fact are both dis-s-s-s-gusting and unbearable to think about:(

Jarubla said...

Filth...heh. What a choice of words for definition of allowed "bits n pieces" allowed in our food. Yummo.

-Jay

Melissa said...

This kind of thing actually doesn't bother me. I'm just glad these things are regulated at all. Just think before the FDA was what kinds of stuff people must've been eating and not knowing about it. It's kinda like hot dogs, IMO. If you've been eating and enjoying them without knowing what it is, then why does knowing what is in them all of a sudden gross you out? It's still the same as it was before. *wink* I hope you are able to eat again soon.
Melissa (Jay's wifey)

ANDREA said...

yeah- my "not eating" strike lasted only about 5 hrs..until i was hungry again. :( but everytime I eat something- this comes to my mind. i've been eating it all my life- it must be decently okay- its just the thought of it..its just gross

Anneke said...

I feel like I need to go sanitize my tongue! gaaahhhahhg!

Sheri said...

And you had to teach us all what you learned, didn't you. :)